Cello star rises again
May 5, 2010
Norwegian Truls Mørk, long considered one of the best cello players in the world, was forced off the stage for the past year by a serious illness but now seems on the verge of a comeback.
Mørk, who recently turned 49, initially thought he was suffering the ill effects of a tick bite. Now it seems he suffered an infection of the central nervous system that caused some paralysis. As late as last fall, he worried he may never play again.
He told newspaper Aftenposten last week, though, that he’s since recovered and now is concentrating on building up his form again. His fingers are functioning well, and he’s working on getting full use of his left shoulder.
Mørk, who’s also a professor at the Norwegian Academy of Music in Oslo, recently conducted some master’s classes in the cello at the music institute Barratt Due, and he’s scheduled to play as a soloist with the Oslo Philharmonic in January.
“I haven’t been canceling concerts after October,” Mørk told Aftenposten. He’s also scheduled to play with the Royal Philharmonic in London in October.
He confirmed that it’s been a tough year for him, after he had to cancel all engagements from April of last year onwards. He’s unsure how much progress he will have made by October, “but I feel better every day, so I hope this will go well.”
Views and News staff