Murder charges dropped against ex-neo-Nazi

Bookmark and Share

Police in Oslo no longer think that a 55-year-old former neo-Nazi who once was convicted of murders in Hadeland was also responsible for the murder of a 39-year-old man in the valley of Maridalen last month. Johnny Olsen remains charged, however, with desecrating a corpse.

The smoldering remains of the 39-year-old were found by hikers in Maridalen not far from a camp where Olsen was believed to have been living. Police now don’t think the 39-year-old was murdered, but his body was definitely burned.

“This is no longer a murder case, it’s now primarily a case of desecrating a corpse,” prosecutor Pål-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told news bureau NTB. Kraby said murder charges were dropped on the basis of “information we have received during the investigation” and the defendant’s decision to finally give his version of what happened during a court hearing on Thursday.

The court upheld his custody for at least another four weeks while the police investigation continues. The 39-year-old’s cause of death was not released.

newsinenglish.no staff