King Harald condemns ‘gruesome acts’

Bookmark and Share

Norway’s King Harald also went on national TV late Friday night, to condemn the “gruesome acts” that shocked the country earlier in the day and to express his sympathy to the victims and their families.

King Harald V

The 74-year-old Norwegian monarch said his thoughts were with the injured and the families of those killed in the attacks on the government complex in downtown Oslo and the Labour Party’s summer youth camp at Utøya in the Tyri Fjord – “but also with our prime minister, with whom I’ve spoken, and the political Norway.”

King Harald said he also wanted to thank “all those who have helped save lives” during the long day of tragedy.

“Now it’s important that we stand together and support each other, and that we don’t let fear take over,” he said.

Flags around Norway were ordered at half-mast on Saturday. Police confirmed 17 dead and several more critically wounded.

Views and News staff