Ten injured at resort in Thailand

Bookmark and Share

Ten Norwegians were among those injured when a chlorine container exploded at a resort hotel in Phuket, Thailand over the weekend. Nearly 40 tourists and hotel staff members were taken to hospital after the accident.

A spokesman for Norway’s Foreign Ministry said eight of the 10 Norwegian guests at the Phuket Orchid Resort were admitted to hospital. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

Norwegian package tour operator Ving told newspaper Aftenposten that it had 106 Norwegian guests at the hotel, including 90 adults and 16 children. Those affected by the explosion were mostly suffering from inhalation of chlorine gas, with symptoms including nausea and vomiting.

The hotel was briefly evacuated after the explosion, but the Ving spokesman said things had returned to normal at the hotel by Sunday.

Views and News staff