A Norwegian man has admitted he defied court orders against publishing defense appeals made by confessed terrorist Anders Behring Breivik during his trial. The man uploaded sound and video of Breivik in court to the media site YouTube, and it was publicly available for the past month.
Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported on Thursday that Torstein Viddal, a former member of the Progress Party, does not agree with what Breivik said, but told NRK that “I believed the truth had to come out.”
Norwegian courts generally don’t allow any public broadcast of proceedings, and made exceptions during Breivik’s 10-week trial. Most all statements made by Breivik in court, including his closing defense appeal, were not allowed to be broadcast, however.
Viddal told NRK he has since deactivated the 45-minute video clip of Breivik’s defense appeal but that it had been on YouTube since June 27. “I chose to take it down today because there was beginning to be uproar around it,” he said. “Until today (Thursday) I hadn’t had any comments or reaction to its publication.”
Several copies of the appeal are reportedly still available, though, and Viddal seemed unaware of any consequences he might face, saying that he didn’t think it was illegal to post the video.
Breivik, meanwhile, remains in high-security confinement while he awaits sentencing August 24, and has become an active letter-writer who’s trying to set up a new conservative network from prison.
Views and News staff