The main suspect in the disappearance and murder of 16-year-old Sigrid Giskegjerde Schjetne last summer didn’t contest court action on Thursday aimed at keeping him in custody for another four weeks. Police earlier this week decided to release a second suspect in the case.
Schjetne disappeared while walking home on the night of August 4. Her body was found a month later in a wooded area south of Oslo.
Two men aged 64 and 37 were arrested the same night that Schjetne’s body was found, but police released the 64-year-old this week. He remains charged in the case, but prosecutor Cecilie Gulnes said he has not been “caught in any lies” or declarations of false information, nor has evidence against him been strengthened.
She said police still have many “major questions” that haven’t been answered, though, adding that investigators still have a lot of work to do.
They wanted to keep the 37-year-old suspect in custody. He has a history of violent behaviour and is considered the prime suspect in Schjetne’s death. He already has spent eight weeks in isolation and now faces at least four more weeks in custody, two of them in isolation.