Around 170 guests at a Christmas buffet known as a “julebord” late last week have fallen ill afterwards, but no one is sure what sickened them. Inspectors from the state food safety directorate, Mattilsynet, are still running tests.
The julebord at the Klækken Hotel in Ringerike, northwest of Oslo, left its mark on the guests, many of whom were retirees. Newspaper VG reported that they ended up suffering severe stomach upset, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. Inspectors descended on the hotel’s kitchen on Monday after district health officials, the hotel and Mattilsynet itself received reports from the sick guests.
The hotel was ordered to close its kitchen, wash and disinfect it even though no source for the illness was immediately found. The “very high number” of persons falling ill meant that “we’re taking this case very seriously.” One guest was admitted to hospital after suffering dehydration.
“During the hectic julebord season there’s lots of different types of food and lots of activity,” Astri Ham of Mattilsynet told VG. Hotel officials said they were “terribly sorry” about the outbreak of illness and promised compensation to all those who got sick.