Ebola alarm called off in Bergen

Bookmark and Share

Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen called in extra security and specially trained personnel over the weekend, after suspicions rose that one of its patients may be infected with the deadly ebola virus. Test results on Sunday, though, proved negative.

“I can confirm that one person has been admitted because of suspicions of ebola,” the hospital’s communications chief Mona Høgli told newspaper Bergens Tidende. Høgli did not say whether the patient was a man or a woman, but confirmed “the person” had been in Sierra Leone and had symptoms that could be ebola infection.

The hospital thus launched into preparedness mode, moving all other patents from the ward where the suspected ebola patient has been placed and using special protective gear when having contact with the patient.

It was unclear whether the patient had been out much among the public. The head of contagious diseases for the City of Bergen, Dr Øystein Søbstad, later said the case involved a man and that preparedness was so comprehensive “that we must check everyone he’s had contact with, and in what manner.”

That proved unnecessary. Høgli said the patient would remain at Haukeland until his condition improved.

newsinenglish.no/Nina Berglund