UPDATED: Norway’s 82-year-old monarch, King Harald V, was released from the national hospital in Oslo on Wednesday after a week-long stay. His son, Crown Prince Haakon, will continue to serve as regent until the monarch’s sick leave ends, probably after another week.
In a press release last Wednesday evening, palace staff wrote that King Harald, who turns 83 next month, had experienced “dizziness” but “no serous illness” has been found. He was admitted to the hospital for observation and expected to be released before the weekend.
On Friday the palace confirmed that King Harald wasn’t being released after all. “The king is improving and is expected to be released next week,” Guri Varpe, communications director at the palace, told news bureau NTB. He was, but his sick leave will extend until at least next Wednesday.
The palace reported that Crown Prince Haakon had assumed royal duties as regent for the next two weeks, during which time the king will again be out on sick leave. No further details of his ailment were released.
The palace had announced earlier that the monarch would not be attending the ceremonial opening of Norway’s huge new oil field, Johan Sverdrup, in the North Sea last Tuesday. That withdrawal, however, was attributed to the recent “ordeals” tied to the suicide of the king’s former son-in-law Ari Behn. Behn’s funeral was held last Friday.
Crown Prince Haakon told reporters on Monday that the royal family has been through “a tough period the past few weeks, but we’re trying as best we can to take care of each other.” He also said his father was recovering and feeling better.