Crown Princess Mette Marit will probably be out of action until Christmas. The Royal Palace announced on Monday that her sick leave has been extended by six to eight weeks,until December.
The 40-year-old crown princess was first placed on sick leave earlier this month, after a neck prolapse that had bothered her for months got worse.
On Monday the palace announced that she would need to cancel all official appearances for nearly two more months.
News bureau NTB reported that palace spokeswoman Marianne Hagen declined to detail the crown princess’ diagnosis, other than to say that “she’s getting good follow-up care.” Asked whether she may need to undergo an operation, Hagen said she would “just take the time necessary” to try to recover.
Crown Prince Haakon was thus traveling on an official visit to Finland alone this week, after spending last weekend in the Gulf of Aden visiting Norwegian navy personnel on board the frigate Fridtjof Nansen, which is taking part in anti-piracy operations off the coast of East Africa. Before that the crown prince was in Northern Norway for the opening of the Sami Parliament in Karasjok.
Hagen said Crown Princess Mette-Marit would try to carry out some duties when she felt up to it.