More than 151,000 people had bought tickets as of Monday for the popular exhibit at Oslo’s Munch Museum that pairs the works of Norwegian artist Edvard Munch and his Dutch contemporary Vincent van Gogh. Spectators were still streaming in this week to see it before the exhibit closes and moves to Amsterdam on Sunday.
“We’ve broken all records, and that’s of course a fantastic inspiration for us here at the Munch Museum,” its director Stein Olav Henrichsen told newspaper Aftenposten.
The lines that formed throughout the summer have only grown longer in recent weeks as the closing date of September 6 draws near. Many people have traveled to Oslo to see the exhibit, with Henrichsen noting that it’s “very important” for museums to cooperate with business and the tourism industry. Tourists made up the vast majority of visitors to the museum in July and August. Fully 47,700 people visited the museum in August alone, another record for a single month.
“But we’ve marked that Oslo residents have also found their way back to the museum,” Henrichsen said, “and that’s great.” The Van Gogh+Munch exhibit, which opened in May, also included some works by other contemporaries of their time, including Claude Monet and Paul Gauguin.
The museum also drew crowds earlier this year with its pairing of Munch’s art with that of Norwegian contemporary artist Bjarne Melgaard. That exhibit drew 35,500 visitors, a number now dwarfed by those turning out for Munch and Van Gogh.