UPDATED: A Norwegian court has rejected an appeal from a Syrian teenager that he be released from custody. The 16-year-old must remain in confinement, pending a new appeal to the Supreme Court, while police continue their investigation into charges he was planning a terrorist attack.
More details about what led to his arrest late last week have emerged during court proceedings this week. Prosecutors contend he was in the process of blending poisons with plans to take the lives of “infidels.”
They also referred to “chat logs” in which the 16-year-old allegedly wrote disparagingly about those not adhering to his version of islam. Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported that he’s believed to have planned to poison people in Norway at random, and that police seized various chemicals at the home he shares with his family in Oslo.
The young terror suspect was arrested at his family’s home last Thursday. Prosecutor Thomas Blom told reporters that the arrest came after police intelligence agency PST received information Wednesday that they deemed “so serious” that they had to act quickly.
Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) has reported that the defendant declined to testify in court himself and that his defense attorney has been unwilling to comment on the case. The attorney told NRK on Wednesday afternoon, however, that he was filing another appeal to Norway’s Supreme Court, to release the teenager from custody.