Man confesses to Bergen murders

Bookmark and Share

A 56-year-old repeat offender reportedly has acknowledged criminal liability in the murders of a man and woman in Bergen last week. A total of six people are now charged in the case, either as being accomplices to the murders or for tampering with evidence.

The defense attorney for the 56-year-old man charged in the double murder confirmed to state broadcaster NRK that his client has confessed. “He went through lengthy questioning yesterday (Tuesday),” attorney Einar Råen told NRK. “And he decided to say this now, after taking some time to think about it.”

Råen wouldn’t comment on a motive, nor would police, but they believe they know what it was. The bodies of the man and woman were found in a popular outdoor area at Osavatnet on Gullfjellsvegen in Arna, just outside Bergen. Police believe the victims were killed at a hostel on Møllendalsveien in Bergen and that their bodies were later transported to Gullfjellsvegen.

“It’s a great relief for the families (of the two victims) that he (the defendant) confessed,” the familes’ attorney Cecilie Wallevik told NRK. “For the family, it’s been important to solve this case. They think the police have done a good job.”

newsinenglish.no staff