Police said Thursday they will no longer ask an Oslo court to keep confessed terrorist Anders Behring Breivik in full isolation at the Ila Prison in suburban Bærum. His latest court-approved period of solitary confinement will expire on Monday.
Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported that police no longer think it’s necessary to seek full isolation for Breivik since the high level of security where he’s being held keeps him isolated from other prisoners anyway. He also will remain subject to bans on correspondence and visitors, and he won’t be allowed to talk to the media.
Police said that after extensive investigation, they had found no evidence that Breivik has had any help from accomplices. They believe he had enough expertise to make the bomb he set off in Oslo, and likely acted alone.
The latest update from the police investigation into the terrorist attacks also revealed that police will soon finish questioning those who were on the island of Utøya when Breivik launched a massacre that killed 69 persons and seriously wounded 39 others. Police attorney Christian Hatlo said police had interviewed 467 of the 569 persons present on the island when the attack started.
Another 319 persons have been interviewed in connection with Breivik’s bombing of government headquarters earlier on the day of July 22, along with 510 others in connection with the attacks. Breivik himself has undergone nearly 100 hours of questioning, most recently involving his childhood. Hatlo said Breivik repeated that he thinks he had a “fine” childhood.
Views and News staff