Terrorist likely to be barred from attending his mother’s funeral

Bookmark and Share

Convicted Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 persons on July 22, 2011, probably won’t be allowed to attend the funeral of this mother, who died over the weekend at the age of 66. Convicts like Breivik are rarely if ever granted leave from prison, and Breivik is under the highest security in Norwegian penal history.

Prison officials reportedly are not only concerned about the chance of Breivik seizing an opportunity to escape, but for his own personal security as well. He continues to be held in his own three-room cell at Ila Prison outside Oslo, isolated from other prisoners, also for his own protection.

His mother, the former wife of a Norwegian diplomat and now publicly identified as Wenche Behring Breivik, died on Friday after a lengthy illness. She had maintained contact with her son and, reported newspaper VG, visited him last week to say goodbye.

“She knew she was going to die, but tried to keep up her spirits to the end,” a former neighbour told VG. Breivik’s mother was said to be shocked by the bombing and massacre carried out by her right-wing extremist son, and was aware that former friends and family shunned her after the attacks.

“She thought the attacks were just as awful as everyone else,” the neighbour told VG.  “She was terribly distressed, he was after all her son,”

newsinenglish.no staff