Oslo’s highly popular new food hall known as Mathallen remained closed on Monday while police and military experts investigated a poisonous and mysterious gas leak that sent four people to the hospital over the weekend.
Firefighters confirmed that gas was still leaking on Monday and it was unclear when Mathallen at Vulkan in Oslo’s Grünerløkka district could reopen.
The food hall combines individual specialty retail food stalls with restaurants and cafés and has been a major hit with the public since it opened last year. It was in the midst of a special promotion of food from Denmark during the weekend when the gas leak was discovered early Sunday morning before it re-opened to the public.
Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported that emergency crews called in military experts on Monday to help investigators determine the source of the gas and what sort of gas it was. Initial findings suggested chlorine gas on Sunday, but officials later weren’t so sure.
Four security guards on duty when the gas leak was discovered remained under observation on Monday after falling ill. The food hall is located in a redeveloped factory area along the Aker River that runs through Oslo.